Friday, March 19, 2010

Christian Nation? Islamic Republic? Jewish State?


I write this with some trepidation and great love for my Jewish brothers and sisters. While I support the right of Jews to live as first-class citizens in the land of their ancestors, I’m beginning to conclude that the concept of a “Jewish state” is not only a flawed concept in terms of sustainability but I am also troubled that a nation-state based on ethnicity and/or religion is morally indefensible. I cannot abide the concept of a Christian nation or an Islamic republic. Why, then, is a Jewish state acceptable? How are efforts to drive Palestinians out of East Jerusalem not an example of ethnic cleansing?

I don’t know the answers but I think that we’ve got to get out of the boxes we’ve been thinking in for the last 60+ years. The will be no lasting peace until all parties can buy into the bargain that is finally struck. Is it crazy to envision a secular democracy in which human rights and religious freedom are zealously guaranteed? I just don’t think the present model will ever produce anything other than a repetition of the endless cycle of bloodshed and heartbreak.

1 comment: